I told you all last week that I was working on some things for a wedding. So, I thought I’d show you one of the things.
This is a wood frame I bought from the clearance section at my local hobby store. I have cut a lot of vinyl, but haven’t applied it to the wood myself before; so, this was a new thing for me. I have previously cut the vinyl at work and the other people have applied it; and they always use a sealer over it. I didn’t want to use a sealer if I didn’t need to. I’ve watched some how to’s and decided just to try it. The board looks like it is kind of white washed and feels chalky, but that didn’t stop me! I like the look of the frame and the base board. I felt like adding a sealer would change the look.
I typed in, chose a font, sized and cut out the saying in Cricut Design Space. I used Cricut Permanant vinyl because it was on sale this week. Then I weeded. It was a little harder to weed than some other brands I’ve used, but I got it weeded okay.
Now to get the transfer tape on without bubbles. This design is 9.5″ x 16.5″ so it was a large area to cover straight. Steve helped and we got that done.
Next step was to get it on the board! Once we had it straight and centered, getting it down again without bubbles is the trick. I’ve done this on things before, but nothing of this size. But with Steve’s help we got it down!
Let the braising begin!! I knew it could be harder because the finish on the wood was not very smooth or thick. So, I pushed hard and long! It’s hard to tell if you have this step done enough. Then we started to peel the transfer tape. When it came off the board white, we got a little worried. We had several places where the lettering was coming with the transfer tape. I put back and braised again each time. Some of them I had to pick off the transfer tape with my fingernail and then peel. At this point I was pretty sure we were going to need a sealer.
Once we got it all off the transfer tape and on the board I used my hair dryer to warm the lettering up and took the liner sheet and braised it all again really well. We decided to let it set over night and see what happened.
The next morning when I checked it, almost everything was stuck to the board well except the first letter. I wondered what to do to fix just that one spot. I finally decided to use some wood glue I had and see if that would fix it, if not a sealer was the next choice.
It worked Great!!! I just brushed a little on the part of the letter that wasn’t stuck and carefully put it back down. Again I left it overnight. It is all sticking great now!! And I’m so glad because I have 3 more frames that I want to do something on!!