Animals for Steve

So this project was for someone that Steve works with.  They had done some kind of team building with this animal matching game where she had just written the names of animals on index card.  Steve thought it would be fun and nice if we made her animals to go on the cards.

It was good to do with Steve because it let him see the process  little more with the Cricut machine.  And it helped him to learn how big you need the paper pieces to cut the image in the Cricut. This is a skill that anyone who uses the Cricut very often can tell you is a big deal! Having enough paper to cut the image out but not too much left to waste is sometimes a hard thing.  Three days later I still have paper scrap I haven’t taken care of!!! The side benefit of having Steve help me with this was that he got to know my new paper organizing system!!!!

The other part of this process was which layers of an image are necessary and which ones aren’t.  You have to be able to do this if you don’t want to waste paper.  Also not all the layers of an image are visible when you bring it into your mat. So all of that was a new learning curve for Steve.

I hope she likes them!

Thanks for stopping by to read my ramblings!



Halloween Cat

So I really like to paint ceramics and dry brushing is my favorite technique.  Sometimes it is hard to find things that have the detail to paint.  I saw this cat in the store and it was 50% off!  Well you know I love a deal!  Only one problem, it is plaster and not ceramic.  Plaster paints totally different and doesn’t really hold up to the dry brush technique.  I thought this had enough rough edges that it would.

It did not hold up well. The plaster flakes off as the dry brush applies the paint! Well I had to make it work because I was determined to get it to!!! lol lol lol  I used  black for the base on it all and it took one more coat than it should have.  Then I used gray and blue on the stones and that went without too much problem.  Then I used purple and gray on the cat.  This was where it really started to have problems. Just the pressure of the dry brushing made the black come off in a lot of places. I just kept going and came back in with more gray or purple trying to cover the white spots.

So it took a lot longer to do and more days of it sitting and then looking for fresh white spots but eventually this was the result!  I like it now that it is done but will try to find ceramic in the future!!


Halloween Lights

Sorry I have so much Halloween that we are past the holiday and still posting ideas! But we found so may fun things this year!

These next two thing are wood that we found at the local craft store for under $5.00. They both have lights in them, the 3 pumpkins one changes colors and blinks and the house one is just a solid.

So the pumpkins we gently took the light out and spray painted it black. The house one I just painted with a brush.  Then we scanned them into my Cricut software and started to play with the sizing. Once we got the sizing right things went pretty fast.

For the house I glued tissue paper between the light and the front to get that more diffused look.  But the light in the pumpkins had a bigger area to cover and didn’t work with tissue paper I ended up cutting each image 3 times to get what I wanted! I probably could have played with it more in the software and not cut so many times.  The house one was pretty fast, but with all the detail the pumpkins took about an hour a time to cut! Good thing I had multiple projects going that day!

Once I had the images cut out then I just glued the papers to the wood! Let that dry and give it a top sealing coat and they were done!!!

I think they turned out fun!!


12 Inch Frames

I found some really cool 12″ paper that had thoughts of inspiration on it and thought that I could put some in frames.  But finding a 12″ frame is not an easy or cheap thing to do. I found one for $7.50 at Walmart. You would think that for as long as the 12″ format has been around that there would be more frames that size readily available. So I was disappointed, but bought a couple anyway.  I am looking at them now and thinking they might need something else, maybe some vinyl accents or something. But here they are in the easy, fast format!

Thanks for taking time to read my blog!